Thursday, July 12, 2012

Baked Rice Croquettes

You've heard it said - eat your mistakes. When I botch a recipe, I am tempted to toss it in the trash. But (a) that's wasteful and (b) the lesson wouldn't quite sink in as well.
The other day I made a pot of coconut rice. Blindly following the recipe, I didn't realize until too late that I'd put in twice the normal amount of water I'd usually use for that amount of rice. I went ahead and cooked it and, lo and behold, came up with a big bland pot of mush.
After slogging through dinner, I very nearly scooped the leftover rice (all $0.37 worth) into the trash and then thought better of it, thinking to resurrect it for breakfast. The next day I made croquettes.
They came out great!

I modified this recipe as follows:

Rice balls:
About 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
About 1/2 cup canned black beans
2 tsp olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp granulated garlic

Mix all together, shape into patties (about a dozen) and dip in egg wash:
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp olive oil
Splash of water

And then dredge in yellow cornmeal, sprinkled with salt.

Preheat oven to 400F (375F if using convection)
Coat a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil and arrange the croquettes on it. Spray the tops with more oil. Bake 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are nicely browned. Flip and bake another 5 minutes.

I made a Korean dipping sauce to go with:

3 Tbs (1.5 oz) soy sauce
3 Tbs (1.5 oz) rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sugar
Pinch of red chile flakes

These came out with a nice crunchy crust and still moist and gooey inside. Almost worth destroying another batch of rice just for an excuse to make these again!

No comments: