Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wontons with Spicy Oil (Hong You Chao Shou)

Okay, I cheated big time on this one.  Since I'd already made the dumpling dough it called for (when I made the Sheesh Barak, I think), I gave myself a break and used store-bought wonton wraps this time.  They were so easy!  I didn't have to get flour caked all over my hands, rolling pin, countertop and clothes, and they were just the perfect size.  If ever I make wontons again, that is how I will do it!
I made the filling from ground pork, ginger, scallions, soy sauce, and rice wine all mixed together.  I laid out the wonton wrappers, brushed them with water and put about a teaspoon of the filling in the center of each perfect square.  Then I folded one end over to get a triangle shape, folded the top point down, and brought the two opposite ends together like a little crown.  These boiled for about ten minutes in salted water.  Finally, I cooked up a hot chile oil from olive oil, chile flakes, garlic, salt and rice vinegar, and drizzled it over the top of the cooked wontons.  It wasn't quite enough to make one break into a gentle sweat, as the authors suggested, but I think it added just the right kick.

No comments: