Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bubble Dumplings! (Sakoo Sai Moo)

When you put tapioca balls into a drink, they call it bubble tea.  Here are dumplings made from tiny tapioca pearls... why not call them bubble dumplings?  I boiled the tapioca in water for about three minutes, mixed in rice flour, and then wrapped it around a very Thai filling of ground pork, sauteed onion, garlic, sugar, chile flakes, chopped roasted peanuts and fish sauce.  The dough was very sticky and hard to manage, but so neat!
They look like little bundles of frog eggs.  Okay, don't think about that if you're going to try these.  They are delightfully soft, chewy, and bursting with contrasting flavors and textures in that Thai way.  They're delicious wrapped in lettuce leaves and dipped in a little soy sauce.
What surprised me most about this recipe was the fact that, although it said I should end up with 24 dumplings, I made 36 with filling to spare.  I even made them bigger than the recipe described.   Normally, with this book, it goes the other way - I try my hardest and still fall about 10 dumplings short of the total.  Whatever the case, I was tempted to eat all of them myself.

1 comment:

Ruth Lee said...

Deborah does it again! These look like a real delicacy. Your last post looked sooooo good too. k, need to stop drooling.