Friday, February 24, 2012

Vegan Mac-UnCheese WIN!

It didn't last long enough to take a picture.

Ever since I heard of nutritional yeast (since going dairy-free) I'd been wanting to take a stab at vegan mac-n-cheese. Craving it. So the other night I adapted this recipe. Served it up at the dinner table with corn chips. Hubby gave an authentic “This is really good!” (not the tepid make-you-feel-better “this is good... do you think it's good?”) and took seconds. In my book, that's a big huge flying win!

Here's what I did:

Sauce:
¾ cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 ½ cups cooked black-eyed peas (I didn't have any white beans. Surprised how quickly these cooked from dry. I was just trying to do a quick-soak and they were practically done!)
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
a few grinds of black pepper
1 medium sweet potato, cut into chunks and steamed
¼ cup olive oil
1 Tbs maple syrup
Some tomato-basil pasta sauce

Combine everything in a food processor. Toss with hot cooked pasta, or use for dipping chips directly! The way I made it had a texture like hummus because I forgot to thin it with non-dairy milk at the end. The flavor was excellent, though. Strangely reminiscent of cheesy Doritos, minus the fluorescent aspect. And way healthier than the electric orange boxed stuff! Plus I LOVE that it doesn't rely on soy or nuts.

No comments: