Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Whole Wheat Layered Apple and Bread Pudding


I think I have found my ideal cake: custard-soaked whole wheat bread interlaced with sweet, soft fruit and lots of butter.

I started this recipe by making a loaf of whole wheat bread, cutting 4 cups of it into cubes, and tossing them in melted butter. Meanwhile, I peeled and sliced three Granny Smith apples and sauteed them with some more butter, sugar, and a pinch of ginger. Thirdly, for the custard, I mixed together milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.  The apples went first into a buttered-and-sugared pudding basin (a 4-cup glass bowl), followed by a layer of bread cubes, and then two more layers of apples and bread. Finally, the best part is pouring the custard over everything and letting it soak in, like water on thirsty ground.

Like all other puddings, I covered the bowl with a piece of parchment, wrapped it in muslin, and set it in a pot of boiling water for about two hours. It smelled great while cooking and tasted like heaven. As apple desserts go, it was fairly easy - especially if I didn't bake the bread myself - and healthy-ish, too. I'd definitely make this one again.

2 comments:

Alyse said...

I'm in love with this, too! I think it's the shape...

I'm a nerd. :)

Looks verry yummy, though.

Deborah said...

Neat! I guess I could do different shapes if I steamed the puddings in other molds besides my trusty Pyrex bowl. I could make sandcastle cakes. Oh the possibilities..!