Monday, April 26, 2010

Spicy Beef Dumplings in Yogurt Soup

I didn't get a chance to plate these before my camera battery ran out, and then we ate them all.  These dumplings are made with a highly seasoned filling of beef, toasted walnuts (recipe called for pine nuts), onion, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, paprika, salt and pepper.  The dough is just flour, oil and water, rolled paper-thin and cut into 2 1/2" circles.

To assemble the dumplings I put about a teaspoon of filling onto a circle of dough, folded the dough into a half-moon shape, and then pinched the two corners together to get a tortellini shape.

I did this about sixty times.

Then I whisked together some yogurt, water, garlic, egg white and dried mint in a pot and brought it to a boil.  The recipe called for strained yogurt but I used regular, so of course it curdled.  I simmered the dumplings for about eight minutes and served them with the yogurt soup.  They were delicious, and so different from anything I'd ever made before.  I did put most of these in the freezer and can't wait to have them again.

No comments: