Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thai Rockfish


This was a simple dinner. In the morning, I shredded a head of green cabbage, of which half got packed away for pickling and the other half went into the refrigerator. At dinnertime, I steamed about two cups of it, then stir-fried it with a tablespoon of Thai green curry paste and half a cup of coconut milk. Green curry paste is pretty mild and herbal, fragrant with lemongrass. Even though it's full of green chilis, it isn't as spicy as the Red or Kaeng Par curries.

I marinated half a pound of wild-caught rockfish in lime juice (from one lime) and a tablespoon each of soy sauce and fish sauce for about half an hour, then baked it skin-side-up for 10 minutes at 350 F. I usually overcook fish (it's so easy), so this time I took it out while it looked a little underdone and let it finish cooking in its own heat. I mixed equal parts fish sauce and soy sauce for table seasoning and garnished it all with chopped peanuts and cilantro.

Gan Gin Gan Yuu (Thai) - As you eat, so you are. We must be delicious!

No comments: